Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Son In Full


On October 9th, each year I celebrate the birth of my son and reflect on what I've learned from him, what we've learned together and praise the man that he is fast becoming. This year's lesson: listening.

As we approach his 23rd year, I can only marvel that he and I have a relationship that has weathered the storms from husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, friends, some family members and recently, employment. We are family and friends. As I sit and type this salute, I'm thinking back to the morning of his arrival , at 11:11am, 6 pounds and 7 ounces, , clean and smooth. He was all arms and legs, kicking and screaming, and I wanted to scream too. I didn't, he stopped crying, and instead acquainted ourselves with one another -- and then grew up together.

The years flew by, school for him, work for me and then before I knew it, his high school graduation. In the meantime though, there was the Tooth Fairy, Valentines Day, April Fools and St. Patrick's Day. Trips to Chicago, Seattle, New York, Atlanta and other places. He humored me as I celebrated each holiday , and treasured that Christmas holidays and his birthday were my personal blackout dates - no travel,or work, and each holiday and birthdate a fond memory that he recites with affection.

As he plans his own celebrations for his upcoming birthday, I am in awe of the person he's chosen to be, the intellect that cannot be contained, envious of the wit and charm that are so natural to him, appreciative of his friendship and respectful of his opinions. He has defied all the negative statistics and has become an exception to the rule and he's just getting started.

His name reflects my thinking at his birth, my son, my name, he is Jason, or if you will, J's son.
He is a son in full...honest, charming, sincere, creative and wise . Happy Birthday Jason...you are my Favor8Son and I love you!








1 comment:

  1. Hey Jeanie,

    I just Googled you to learn a little more about you. I see you're big time in music and a fantastic mother who has a lovely blog about your son. Now I remember how I associated the number 9 to Jason, you said his birthday is the 9th, not his age Duhhh on my part. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blogging and am excited to be your first follower.

    Thanks for sharing you M&M's with me. Looking forward to our next exchange.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY J'S SON!!!!!!!!! And many more.

    ReplyDelete